The French house of luxury Chanel announced the acquisition of the Villa La Pausa, a house “imagined, built and decorated” by its founder, Madame Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel. The building with garden is located on the heights of Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, just few kilos from Monaco.
The heritage villa which witnessed the life of Gabrielle Chanel joins back of the luxury brand. The house was acquires with the ambition to make it shine the culture, values and beauty of the Chanel.
In the 1920s, Gabrielle Chanel frequently visited the French Riviera in the company of the Duke of Westminster. She bought the site in the Cape Martin in 30 September, 1928, and decided to build a villa for hers taste, and named it “La Pausa”.
Completed in January 1930, La Pausa refers in particular to the architecture of Aubazine Abbey transformed into an orphanage, where Mademoiselle Chanel spent her adolescence. She has hosted in this villa her friends, among which the Duke of Westminster, pianist Misia Sert, painters Jean Cocteau and Salvador Dali.
In 1954, after the death of the Duke of Westminster, Coco Chanel sold Villa La Pausa and all its furniture to Emery Reves, an American author and editor. In June 2013, Le Figaro announced that La Pausa was on sale for 40 million euros.
Chanel S.A. is a French, privately held company owned by Alain and Gerard Wertheimer, grandsons of Pierre Wertheimer, who was an early business partner of the couturière Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel.
Founder: Coco Chanel
Founded: 1909, Paris
Villa La Pausa
Villa La Pausa is a large detached villa in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, in the Alpes-Maritimes department of France. It was designed and built by the French fashion designer Coco Chanel in the early 1930s, and owned by Chanel until 1953. La Pausa was sold by Chanel to the Hungarian publisher Emery Reves. The British Prime Minister Winston Churchill spent roughly a third year at La Pausa from 1956 to 1958 with Reves and his wife, Wendy, and wrote and edited part of his History of the English Speaking Peoples there. La Pausa was occupied by Wendy Reves until 2007. The principal rooms of La Pausa and its significant art collection were recreated at the Dallas Museum of Art during her lifetime and under her direction. The Reves wing was opened in 1985.
Situated above the village of Roquebrune, the house enjoys views toward Menton and the French border with Italy on one side, and Monaco on the other. Its name refers to the legend that Mary Magdalene “paused” near here on her journey from Jerusalem following the crucifixion of Jesus.