The area is heavily residential, with the very expensive homes and high fences.
Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat is located on a peninsula next to Beaulieu-sur-Mer and to Villefranche-sur-Mer and extends out to Cap Ferrat.
Its tranquillity and warm climate make it a favourite holiday destination among the European aristocracy and international millionaires.
The village itself is rather small, but there are a lot of nice terrace café-restaurants; most along the port. The port, like many along this part of the coast, was once a small fishing port that’s evolved into a larger yacht harbor.
A local map could be useful if you want to explore the peninsula. Many of the Nice town maps include Beaulieu, St Jean-Cap-Ferrat and Villefrance. There’s also a map available from the Office de Tourisme of Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat.
The history of Saint Jean Cap Ferrat shows that the town was known to the ancient Greeks as Anao, the site of present days Cap Ferrat was first settled by Celto-Ligurian tribes, then by the Lombards at the end of the 6th century. Sant Ospizio (or Saint Hospice), a hermit friar, is said to have inhabited a tower on the Eastern part of the peninsula.
In the 8th century, the history of Saint Jean Cap Ferrat changed when the Saracens occupy the site and use it as a base for pirating until the 11th century. By 1388, the territory of Saint Jean Cap Ferrat with the entire County of Nice is given by treaty to the Dukes of Savoy (see also History of Villefranche-sur-Mer).
The history of Saint Jean Cap Ferrat tells that Duke Emmanuel Philibert of Savoy builds a fort at Saint-Hospice in 1561 in an effort to secure the coastline from invaders. The fort is destroyed in 1706 by the Duke of Berwick when Nice is occupied by the French armies of King Louis XIV.
During the 18th century, the history of Saint Jean Cap Ferrat changed when the area – officially part of the Kingdom of Sardinia – was occupied off and on by the French. It is returned to the Kingdom of Sardinia in 1814 after Napoleon’s abdication.
In 1860, the County of Nice is finally ceded by treaty to France and the peninsula becomes a magnet for kings and wealthy visitors; a new era in the history of Saint Jean Cap Ferrat. The small fishing village of Saint Jean develops and by 1904 is established as a self-standing commune with the rest of the peninsula, separated from nearby Villefranche-sur-Mer.
Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild
Address: 1 Avenue Ephrussi de Rothschild, 06230 Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, France. Saint Jean-Cap-Ferrat peninsula northern end/entrance.
Open: Every day, year-round. 15 Feb-1 Nov: 10h-18h (19h July-Aug); 2 Nov-5 Feb: weekends and school holidays, 10h-18h.
Tel: +33 4 93 01 33 09
The mansion of the Baronness Béatrice Ephrussi de Rothschild (or Villa Île de France) was established in 1934, it has seven gardens designed in different styles: French Traditional, Florentine, Spanish, Exotic, Lapidary, Japanese, Provencal. Also a fabulous view of the coast, east and west. Also a library, shop, and tea room.
The Nice-Ventimiglia train along the coast stops at Villefranche-sur-Mer and Beaulieu-sur-Mer, both a pretty long walk from St Jean-Cap-Ferrat.
There is one possible bus line by Lignes d’Azur:
81: Nice – Villefranche-sur-Mer – Beaulieu-sur-Mer – Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat.
Distances to other cities
Beaulieu-sur-Mer – 2 km
Eze – 7 km
Menton – 22 km
Monaco – 13 km
Nice – 8 km
Roquebrune-Cap-Martin – 21 km
Turbie – 13 km
Villefranche-sur-Mer – 4 km